Thursday, October 13, 2016

Paper Books or E-Readers?

I had this talk with my dad the other day: whether it was better to read on an e-reader--like a Kindle, Nook, etc--or paper copies. I do both, and hadn't put much thought into the methodology behind which one I choose for particular reading items. After the talk with dad, I now have things all racked and stacked.

E-READERS

I have an 8-inch Samsung Galaxy Tab with both the Kindle and Nook apps on it, and honestly, for reading fiction, I don't see too many downsides to using this over traditional people. It's amazingly convenient for traveling--I can take dozens of books in something the size of a paperback. I can bookmark, make comments, highlight, and so on. I don't have to worry about the paper fading or the cover tearing or anything. I can't dog-ear a tablet, and I can easily put in my backpack when I go mountain biking, so I have my choice of books to read during breaks.

However, I do NOT like reading from my tablet at bedtime, which is the time I most commonly read, because the blue light from the screen is known to disrupt sleep patters. Since I already have trouble sleeping, doing something that makes it harder right before bed is not the best idea for me. I do have a blue light filter, but I find reading off a paper copy more relaxing anyway. Also, e-readers have batters that run out, often need updating, and provide their own distractions, with the web and email just a touch away.

And e-books are generally cheaper than their paper counterparts, for obvious reasons, so there are some monetary gains from buying them.

PAPER BOOKS:

I much prefer paper books if I know the author, so I can get the copy signed. As I pointed out above, I also like them for bedtime reading, and for all around relaxation. I take paper books on airplanes, since you have to turn off electronics during takeoff and landing, and that's just more time to read. I also use paper books where I think the light of a tablet might disturb other people, or in bright sunlight.

I'm also not a fan of electronic magazines. For some reason, holding a magazine in my hands--being able to roll it up, thumb through the pages, and so on, is more appealing to me than swiping on a screen. Besides, I can't roll up my tablet to smash a spider. Gets too expensive. (Note; I do subscribe to Fantasy and Science Fiction on my Kindle app and love it...)

Paper books also look much better lining the bookshelves in a writer's home, something all of us like to do. Putting a tablet on the shelf just doesn't have the same effect.

So I guess I'm a hybrid reader, using e-books in some situations and traditional paper ones in others. They both have their place. A good story is a good story, be it in ink or ones and zeroes, so whatever lets me read it the best is what I'll use.

No comments:

Post a Comment